Friday, February 15, 2008

Lockstep

I’ve been struggling with something for a while now. I call it the “lockstep requirement.” Lockstep was the type of march required by the Germans, Chinese and numerous other military forces. The “Lockstep Requirement” is the thought, that there’s a long list of viewpoints and procedures one is obligated to follow before the stamp of Christian is permitted to be applied. What really is a Christian? Most, if not all, of the people who know me, would classify me as a Christian. I profess to be a follower of the life and teachings of Christ, I read the Bible and believe in its teachings (as I understand them), I pray and express my love to God. Is this the criteria required to be considered a Christian? Is the definition we’re looking for?

If much time is spent inspecting my life or listening to my beliefs one would also conclude I don’t march the same as many of my fellow “comrades.” This leads me down this path of questioning. If we follow the same commander and yet march differently how do I identify with others? I’ve begun to rethink how to define this thing called followers of Christ. I’m not sure I have definitive, nor am I sure I ever will but I’ve given myself the freedom to at least to rethink. Isn’t that what grace is about? Isn’t that why God gave me the ability to reason? Perhaps it’s those of us who don’t “lockstep” that are the real followers.

No comments: